Burkett on Facebook!

Burkett Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Monday, August 08, 2005

    MGM IronMan

    I know it has been awhile since I sent one of these out but it has just been a hectic summer with a June vacation thrown into the schedule. Luckily we got PSV 7 Shipping and it has been a very successful release with many great reviews coming in from the shooters. Hopefully those of you that have it are actually using it and doing the drills that you print out.

    Angus Hobdell reminded me of one of my favorite quotes that I heard a long time ago.
    “The harder I practice, the luckier I get!”

    Yes, we are working on the shotgun video. Send in your idea’s to matt@burkettvideo.com in case you think we are going to leave anything you think is important out. I am also working on a match compilation DVD with some really cool footage. No, I don’t know when it will be done – hopefully by Sept.

    I will try to send out multiple comments on international travel that might help out some considering shooting a competition outside of the country. Some of the following emails may seem kind of random but with a big jet lag for me, everything is a bit random.

    CZ road trip – thoughts from the long damn plane ride.
    •••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
    I found it interesting this last couple of weeks how much stress I placed on myself about this match. I am still trying to find out what was the cause of all of it. I am on the plane coming into Prague right now and finally relaxing! Now if I can just find the hotel after I get the rental car I am all set!
    I think the main reasons for the hight stress level were as follows:
    1. First 3 gun match I have shot in a foreign country
    Wasn’t sure about permits – Was told just take the invitation to CZ and then they will issue a permit in the airport. Not really comfortable with that but it worked.
    Travel arrangements – rental car and hotel has been a pain in the butt.
    2. Not sure about availability of ammo locally for what I can’t take on the plane. FYI 200 rds 124 gr. Super and 200 rounds of .223 55 gr. makes weight for the airline. Going to be purchasing S&B slugs and shot at the match. Have used a bunch of their shotshells successfully to win the IronMan the last 3 years so I know it works for the shooting and for the Gram’s Benelli. (If you need to knock plates down get their 1 ¼ oz. 3 ¾ dram #6 loads!)
    3. Ammo legality – Found out JHP’s aren’t legal 1 day prior to flight! Had tested Winchester 130 FMJ’s with N350/3N38 without success in the Hybrid setup. It shot about 12-15” groups at 25 yards! 124 JHP Montana Golds shot about an 1.5” at 25 which is okay for most of this stuff. When I had to get some different bullets that work, I contacted Angus who handles Zero bullets locally and got 125 FMJ’s. Was I seriously surprised when I got to the range and shot a 1.4” group at 50 yards without a whole lot of effort! Probably switching to that bullet for the rest of the season. Feeds awesome since there are no edges around the hollow point and no exposed lead to drag on the front inside of the magazine.
    4. Rebuilt SVI pistol from M2i (MattMcLearn.com) got in the week before the match. Decided it was too short of a timeframe to get used to it. Worked and felt great, but I figure I better use the gun I have used to win all year.
    5. Had to study the IPSC rules to see what is legal in Open class internationally which is different than USPSA and other multi-gun matches. Still don’t know if changing out bipods is legal or even if they can be removed for different stages.
    6. Different style of match – all guns are shot individually on stages. No multigun stages or gun changes. There isn’t even a mix of slugs and shot on a stage. Seriously short stages compared to what I am used to. Many of the stages are 8-15 rounds. Scored Comstock style which makes the accuracy requirement go up especially on what are normally take it for granted close targets. Don’t shoot c’s and d’s with a rifle on a two hit factor stage! You are losing 1 second per C!!! (.223 rifle is minor). This is a massive change from the style of match that only requires two hits or one A.
    7. Susanne started her second year of residency. I wouldn’t wish on someone what they put the residents through.
    8. Fatigue from a pretty hectic schedule.
    9. Choice between the US Nationals and this match. First time in 15 years I am not going to the USPSA Nationals. (Of course skipping Barry, IL in July is a definite benefit as far as I am concerned.) Still a strange feeling to not be going.

    The above is to let you know that yes I suffer from stress too and the areas it comes from can be widely varied. Everything in your life can affect your shooting especially if you are not paying attention to the causes of stress. Once the problem is known, it makes it easier to deal with and causes some reduction of stress. Remember that most people solve their own problems at the therapist’s office. (Really? How do you feel about that?) ☺

    •••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••


    Most people find it interesting that I actually setup equipment and training differently for each 3 gun match.
    I will setup and optimum zero on my guns for each type of match. Farthest, closest and average target distance. Good rule of thumb is a 50-60 yards zero. Always check your secondary intersection to make sure that it is where it is supposed to be and matches up with your ballistic calculations.
    Slings or not? 1, 2, or 3 point? Are they needed? Rifle and shotgun? Do you need the ability to get in and out of them quick or are they more needed for shooting position support?
    Ammo requirements? Distances, types of targets, difficulty to knock down, accuracy required, aerials and 20 yd plates in the same stage – all these questions have to be answered prior to actually being ready for just the ammo setup.
    How are the guns getting put down for the change up in a multigun match? Is it safety on, like the SMM3g, or is it completely empty like the USPSA Nats? Which mods to the gun would allow you to do either one of those activities easier?
    What gear is needed for that specific match? What backup parts and accessories may not be easily obtained locally?
    What can I take off the guns that I won’t need for the match? Do I need the secondary on the rifle?
    What bi-pods are needed? Is removal of bi-pods legal or do they have to stay on the whole match? How about switching lengths?



    •••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
    (Didn’t get this sent out earlier)
    Well, I just finished up the MGM Ironman. The wonderful crew in Idaho did a great job again! A personal thank you goes out to Mike Gibson of MGMTargets.com for holding this match ones again! PLEASE DO IT AGAIN NEXT YEAR! You guys and the match ROCKS!

    Picked up the third win in a row at the match. I know I have been telling people about this match for the last couple of years, but, I just can't get over how fun and what a test of shooting and equipment it is. If you haven’t seen it or have any idea what it is about, check out PSV 6 – the AR-15 as it shows a couple of stages from the match.

    A few things that I want to talk about from the match.

    M193 ball worked as a replacement for Black Hills 55 grainers in a pinch for the JPrifles.com Ar. Our rifle ammo (55’s and 75’s) ended up getting lost and the m193 worked the guns fine and was still able to get hits out to 450 yards. Tried some PMC target and it wasn’t reliable on cycling the guns.

    Pay attention to the wind. Right before you start on a rifle stage – figure out your wind dope so that you are not doing the fire and correct type of shooting. Know all the distances of all targets and what your hold offs are for every gun.

    Equipment:
    Most people don’t have the equipment for this kind of a match. Set yourself up right to do well. Get good solid guns that are reliable and will last through 600 rounds or so. Use a lubricant that doesn’t gum up and attract too much dirt. The Action Lube kept my rifle and shotgun working flawlessly for the match. (Side note: Just had a guy stop by to trim the palm trees and he needed some lube for the chainsaw. Lent him the Action Lube heavy and he said it was the best stuff he had ever tried. Kept the saw cooler than anything he had ever seen! Well time for a new label for that market!)
    If you are going to shoot this match don’t bring a minor pistol. Many of the targets were spinners that took good hits to turn over.
    Learn how to stage your ammo. If the multi-gun match allows you to stage ammo always put extra mags or whatever you might need down range. Don’t give yourself the nightmare of possibly running out at the wrong time.
    Know your zero for all ranges and guns. Minimums: Shotgun slugs up to 100 yards. Pistol to 75 yards. AR to 500, LRR rifle to 700.
    Bring a complete cleaning kit and a small stage kit for each gun. Minimums: Pull through cleaning rope or a rod and patches. Lube, rags etc.
    Organize your stuff every night of the match. During the match, your going to end up having crap everywhere in your vehicle. Empty it out, clean all the guns and reset everything. This will also let you know how you are doing on ammo etc.

    LEARN TO BREATH!
    It does crack me up watching people in significantly better shape than I am in, just about puke at the end of a stage because they are so exhausted. For some dumb reason nearly everyone holds their breath when they are shooting. Guess what? That doesn’t work that well on a seven minute stage! Learn to always be pushing air in and out even on wide target transitions. Lower abdominal breathing so your upper chest isn’t moving your shoulders around.

    BTW thanks to DPMS for providing the .308 as the top prize for the match and thanks to Cavalry Arms for being the overall match sponsor.
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
    I will be sending some more stuff from the CZ soon and hopefully posting up some pictures.
    Take care and stay safe on the range,
    Matt

    Varied and random thoughts from around the world.

    Blog Archive

    About Me

    My photo
    Scottsdale, AZ, United States